Old 12-02-2003, 10:55 AM
Otto Jones

Default Have you ever grown Jerusalem Artichokes?

An easy to grow sunflower. One plant produces numerous tubers. For some
they may become invasive, but since they are edible there is a 'natural
control'. A 'poor folk' food of the South, that has gone out of favor and
is every now and then rediscovered. Pick up some fresh, firm tubers at a
natural foods market and plant them out. Sandy, well drained soil. Lots of
sun. They get fairly tall so locate carefully in relation to other plants
in the garden. Give the base a clear 2-3' perimeter. When the plant dies
back, lift the tubers. You will inevitably miss some and will see
volunteers next year. They are good raw as well as cooked. Many complain
that they cause flatulence.
"Mike Davis" wrote in message
Yes, I know they're not from Jerusalem, nor are they artichokes. ;-)

But, my spouse cooked up a fantastic soup with 'em the other night and it
was so good, I just might consider devoting a bit of garden space to them.

Anyone had experience (good or bad) with them?

--
Mike Davis