Old 08-12-2005, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Hey Everyone...

Keep in mind that some people are raised as pigs, by older pigs, and are
totally unsocialized. I used to have neighbors whose teenage daughter would
go out for ice cream with her friends almost every night, and as she
returned, she and her pig friends would toss ice cream cups, plastic spoons
and napkins out the car window. When we spoke to her father, who was also a
pig, and explained that we didn't appreciate trash all over the lawn &
street, he acted like this was a revelation.

You may need to train your pig. This process is sometimes more effective if
you lead him by the nose to the conclusion that any behavioral changes were
his idea. If you reach the point of calling the police, they'll probably ask
if you've tried talking to the pig. At least you can say you did.

Try this:

You: Listen, is there a good reason why you keep tossing your cigarette
butts onto my lawn?

That's it. Shut up, and stare at him. It's a totally open-ended question
which requires that he either speak, or slam the door in your face. There is
no possible good reason, so no matter what he says, you respond "I'm sorry.
I must not have made myself clear. I said 'a GOOD reason'. Is there one?" He
may actually stop doing it. If not, call the cops. You've done all you can.