Old 21-12-2005, 10:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
dt

Default Pl*cos and tank cleaning

kc wrote:

Jan. what in the heck is a pl*cos?
Kirsten

Pleco, or plecostomus. See
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/pleco.htm

The theory is that if you say its name, yours will
die. I can say it, since I don't have any. YMMV.

DT
(Hope I didn't jinx anybody else's pl*cos by proxy!)

"~ jan jjspond" wrote in message

As reported here, pl*cos can be bad in tanks with goldfish. Because they
are nocturnal they cause the goldfish stress at night, and once they've
cleaned the sides of a tank they may decide goldfish slime coat taste
yummy.

For the last year or so I've been scrubbing glass to protect my goldfish
for this reason. Lately time has been scrunched because of working and the
holiday season.... and I just lost a big moor that got caught on the
filter
intake because the glass was so algae covered no one noticed till too
late.

Enter Mr. Lonely Pl*co, in the cleanest tank in the house. I net him and
put him in the 20 gallon. 3 days later spotless. Net him again, put him in
the 15 gallon, spotless in 3 days. Goldfish no worst the wear for a few
nights of restless sleep. Now he's in the 55 gallon, this could take him
awhile.

So much easier than scrubbing, and I think he does a better job. Hopefully
this is a win-win situation. ~ jan

http://www.thehungersite.com/