Old 16-02-2003, 11:36 PM
Warwick

Default Sycamore by any other name

In article ,
says...

Warwick wrote:

While in Japan on holiday in October, I wandered under some of the micer
looking Acers and picked up seeds.

That probably won't do it. They need to be wet, cold and frozen in soil to
break down the germination inhibitors.

Any suggestions?

Stick some in soil now and put them outside to get some freeze thaw action
and rained on. There is still time to do it naturally - otherwise you may
need to stratify them in the fridge. Perhaps try both methods. Natural is
rather uncontrolled and uncontrollable. Unlike common sycamores exotic acers
are a bit more picky about germinating. You should be able to do it. Don't
let them dry out too much once they start coming up. Small seedling trees
tend to be vulnerable to drought (and to over watering).

I'll give that a try. I have just enough seeds to split things out three
ways and use the freezer for short periods too in a nice cozy bag of
damp compost to prevent them getting down as cold as it was half way up
Fuji.

I'd completely forgotten about the Japanese winter being that bit colder
than ours. I'll give them a short winter and see if anything comes of
it. There's a place in the garden plan where a couple of small Acer
Japonica will fit well once we've removed the logs that were the
leylandii. I know these won't really be up to filling that hole for a
few years if they do take. I'm just doing it for the opportunity to say
to the kids in a few years time "That is a Japanese Maple grown from
seeds brought from Japan.. now eat your Udon and like it!".

Warwick