Old 31-12-2005, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Cheryl Rogers

Default baby tears propagation

Can you shoot a photo of the mature plant? That would help. This photo
does look like duckweed.

In my tank, I have Micranthemoides umbrosum, one version of baby's
tears. I have noticed the same thing, but it takes a LOOOOOOOOONG time
for a leaf to grow into a plant worthy of planting in the gravel.

If you want to grow this plant, you might want to look into getting more
light. Is it shaded by another plant? The solution to your problem might
be as simple as moving it to another location in the tank.

Cheryl

Zathoros wrote:
Hi,

I purchased some plants a few months ago that the LFS was calling baby's
tears. They are about 6 inches or so tall, with a small tear shaped leaf
that has a split down the middle. The tend to lose a lot of their leaves
especially along the bottom of the stalk as they grow taller. I was scooping
the leaves out and tossing them. But some leaves would get mixed in with the
hornwort I have and I noticed that the leaves I left in the tank were
extending what appeared to be a root. I was wondering if all these leaves
will mature into plants. Should I remove them from my aquarium and try to
grow them elsewhere? I have a few hundred of the leaves floating in my
aquarium at this point.

http://www.avadb.com/photos/leaves.jpg

Thanks,