Old 01-01-2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
§tudz

Default hair algea

"John H." wrote in message
. ..
I've got a bad case of hair algea in my 55gal. Its mostly attached itself
to broad leaf plants, my amazon swords. It reminds me of that fine hair
you have to clean of corn, its its much finer than that. There isnt any on
the grass I use in forground. ITs really ugly. Not sure where it came
from. I've read that you have to use a 5% bleach soln to kill it... thats
before you put the plants into your tank, right? What can I do now, trim
the affected leaves?
thanks
John

55gal
pH 6.5-7
kH 8-9
eheim canister filter
CO2
no2 & nh4 nil
no3 20
96 watts light X 12 hr/day

I have a similar problem, I'm treating mine by doing bleach dips to the
plants, when it gets outta hand, and reducing tyhe phospates in the tank.
I have also added a CO2 injector.
The growth has slowed, so hopefully its the start of getting rid of the
stuff

bear in mind some plants don't like the bleach and it kills them, I use less
than 5% dip, to be sure, I've lost a lot of plants to the 5% bleach dips.

§tudz