Old 03-01-2006, 03:03 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown

Default Help with Fiddle-Leaved Fig please?

I have a lovely specimen of this plant boarding at my Mum's place. It's
about eight feet tall and has just reached the ceiling (after over
twenty years in situ!). Since the plant is a single tall stem (never
branched... dunno why not...!), I'm not sure what, if anything, I should
do to it.

Should I cut the central stem and hope it will branch lower down? If so,
how far up or down should I do that?

Should I wire and bend the stem horizontally in the hope that 'a branch'
will happen lower down? If so, where on the stem should I make the bend?

Or should I just leave well enough alone and allow the plant to make its
own course? The two newest fiddle-leaves are currently hard against the
ceiling with nowhere to go.

The plant is in great health with very large glossy leaves. It has a
drink occasionally and a cup of tea (leaves) occasionally, but beyond
that has been very happy in its bucket-sized pot all these years.

I'd be grateful if anyone can suggest ideas for me! ;-D

TIA,

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia