Old 06-01-2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Your favourite gardens?

"Sacha" wrote
We're thinking of doing a tour of bits of UK later this year and are
trying
to decide which parts to visit. Obviously, we'll have to sit down and
plan
the routes we take 'there and back' but would be grateful for suggestions
as
to 'must see' gardens. Some might have to wait for a separate trip,
though.
Ray has seen several, I've seen very few so in a sense, we're starting
from
scratch. What are *your* favourite gardens in *your* area and further
afield, too. All suggestions gratefully received!

1. The Savill Garden in the Great Park at Windsor, excellent in spring with
all the Rhodos, Camellias and trees in bloom but in summer their Herbaceous
Borders are the best, and best kept, I've ever seen (if they have got rid of
their Bindweed problem) and their rose garden is beautifully kept too (if
you like that sort of thing!). Interesting plants by the big wall and in the
greenhouse which will be of interest to Ray. Always deserted compared to
other gardens. Grass can be damp under foot so wear appropriate shoes. You
can take a picnic, there is a cafe, but an amazing new cafe and visitors
centre etc is being built. Fantastic view of Windsor Castle from the Copper
Horse in the Park.
http://www.savill-garden.co.uk/

2. Kew Gardens, so much to see it would take a couple of days at least. Lots
of interesting plants. Lots of kids, school parties etc. but it is a big
area. I love the Temperate House myself. You can picnic, food expensive but
OK, best snacks are at Victoria Gate. New Alpine House under construction.
http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/

3. RHS Wisley, worth a visit BUT lots of people too so parking can be
difficult. New huge greenhouse now up but don't know when it will be
finished. Plant centre expensive, some things are double what local GC's
charge. No picnicing allowed (but people do). Cafe naff last time I tried
it, try the Restaurant [or get a bacon roll at Newlands Corner instead.
:-) ]
http://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley/index.asp

4. West Dean Garden, Singleton, W.Sussex. they run the famous Tomato and
Chilli weekends during the summer too so if you could time your visit to one
of those weekends so much the better. Nice cafe.
http://www.chichesteruk.com/attracti...an_gardens.htm

5. West Green Garden.
http://www.westgreenhousegardens.co.uk/

--