Old 10-01-2006, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gill Passman

Default hair algea

§tudz wrote:
"John H." wrote in message

This is probably an insane idea but I'm going to ask you guys anyway...
I was wondering, my hair algae problem is so bad, if I relocate my fish
and disconnect my pumps, could I just add enough bleach directly to the
tank to make 5%, then add declorinator to the tank to neutralize the
bleach? Is there anything else in bleach that would be toxic to either the
fish or the beneficial bacteria other that clorine? I suppose it would
kill all the bacteria in the water and gravel... however after
neutralizing I still have the bacteria in the pumps?
just a thought?

That would indeed kill all the algae, also your bacteria and possibly your
plants, if you add too much.
you would need to empty the tank after doing it, rinse with water and
declorinator, then let the tank cycle again, but yeah in theory it would
work.

but remember it would be a new tank setup situation.

§tudz

Another thing to bear in mind is even if you do set the tank up again
after the bleaching there is nothing to stop the algae from returning as
it is present in all water.....

I would think the better way of going would be to add more plants to
compete with the algae and maybe invest in some algae eaters....

Gill