Old 12-02-2003, 03:55 PM
Gary Woods

Default Have you ever grown Jerusalem Artichokes?

"Otto Jones" wrote:

You will inevitably miss some and will see
volunteers next year. They are good raw as well as cooked. Many complain
that they cause flatulence.

A masterpiece of understatement.
They are native to the Mohawk River valley of New York state; I see them
alongside a bike path, and I'm told that the original Americans used them
for winter food. They grow well in my clay soil, amended with liberal
quantities of rocks. Invasiveness isn't much of a problem, because roots
don't "run" like, say horseradish.

Anybody want a little horseradish?

(Distant chorus: "There's no such thing as a little horseradish.")