Old 13-01-2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Al

Default glut of hazelnuts

"Argo" wrote in news:1128364943.685313.117700
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

My question is - is there such a thing as an automatic or mechanical
cracker that would work well for hazelnuts? Obviously, I wouldn't be
looking for something huge that a manufacturer would use - but
something a step up from a vice-type hand cracker.

Thanks for any tips.

Argo

The best nutcracker I have found is a curved jaw vise grip. It applies a
lot of pressure to crack the shell then stops so it does not crush the
nutmeat. The curved jaw allows it to be set for the average size and
different sized nuts are accomodated by placing them in different locations
within the jaw.