Old 15-01-2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default Adding nitrates without adding Ca, Mg or K

In article ,
Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\) wrote:
Andrzej Konarski wrote:
I stay at about 25 ppm adding 40 ppm per week and changing 1/6 of the
water.

And what do you want ot change ?
I cannot understand You !!!
You have high no3 and do You want to add nitrates or amonium ???

I have to add Ca or Mg to keep NO3 crashing to 0...
My tank consumes 40 ppm NO3 per week that I have to add...
Unfortunately Ca and Mg are added in the same time !

Philippe

Bonjour Philippe;

What you want to do is very simple. You need to find out what is in your
tapwater - how much nitrate, how much carbonsate, how much magnesium and
for other chemicals.

Then you need to establish what you want your tank to be. Again, how much
nitrate, phosphate and so on.

Now you buy some Potassium nitrate, Potassium sulphate, Magnesium sulphate,
Potassium monophosphate and an iron and trace elements mix.

Make up stock solutions of them in distilled water.

Now, knowing what your bare tapwater is, and what you want,
you can ad these chemicals one at a time from solution and attain
the levels you want.

In an established tank you would add different amounf of chemicals.

But this is complicated, and to be honest if you jsut follow Tom Barr's
"Estimative Index" regime of fertilizers, you'll have no problems
at all.

These calculators may help: http://aquaria.net/sys/tank

Best regards from Canada,

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net