Old 15-01-2006, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default Pool Sand over laterite as a substrate- feasible?

In article ,
Ron Jackson wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for an inexpensive option for a planted aquarium
substrate and was considering using Silica Sand (the kind sold at a
pool supply store) on top of a layer of laterite. Would this make a
decent substrate? On my other tank, I used a layer of standard
aquarium gravel over a layer of laterite and had problems with the
laterite leaching into the water and causing several algae blooms.

So, I am thinking the sand may keep the laterite contained better than
the gravel would do. Is my thinking correct here... or is there an
even better solution that would also be relatively inexpensive?

This substrate would be used on a 38 gallon aquarium with 2 watts of
light per gallon and an Emperor 400 filter. The types of fish in the
tank would be rasboras, loaches, catfish, and golden barbs. The types
of plants have yet to be decided.

I look forward to any options or advice on this issue.

I've used this for decades. Works fine. Beach sand, playbox sand,
silica. it kicks up dust and is minorly annoying to vacuum but
it does work well.

Can't beat the price either,

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net