Old 18-01-2006, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Steve Michie

Default How many hrs of light per day?

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

"Steve Michie" wrote in message

ok sweet - if u had 120 W (3 bulbs) over ur 55g - my next question was
gonna be how u control the algae - hehe - i've got 120 W over my 55g and
am battling cloudy water (green algae) with lights on for only 8 hours
per day - cheers.

==============================
I've gotten rid of green water with nothing more than stepped up partial
water changes. The Vortex DE filter is excellent to remove floating
algae.

yeah, I tried extra water changes, extra gravel vacuuming, weekly blackout
periods - without success - but after 1 week with the vortex diatom & a 2nd
charge of powder - a massive improvement - not 100% crystal clear yet - but
the plants are starting to flourish again - so another few weeks and the
micro floating algae (that the vortex cant trap) might just get outcompeted
by the plants - fingers crossed. I'm still dosing CO2 but have stopped
dosing iron & potassium.

Cheers.