Old 18-01-2006, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

Default How many hrs of light per day?

"Steve Michie" wrote in message

"Koi-lo" wrote in message
DE earth is so cheap at Home Depot you can run your Vortex every day for
an hour or so until the problem is under control.

===========
I've had my Vortex D-1 running for 24 hours a day since I got it ??? (1
week)

I was told when I bought the original one years ago (Fishtown USA) that this
filter is designed for water polishing and not as a continuous run filter.
As far as I know this is still true.

Maybe I would see much faster results if I had purchased the XL model ?
(My tank is 55g)

Not really. I have the smaller one and it clears my 55s in under 2 hours
when I do a gravel vac and water change. And having GF you can imagine the
"load" they make. You may need to add more powder. Or the bag may need
more than back-flushing. Take the bag out and clean it under running water.
Make sure you OIL the motor.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952