Old 18-01-2006, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

Default How many hrs of light per day?

"Steve Michie" wrote in message

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

I was told when I bought the original one years ago (Fishtown USA) that
this filter is designed for water polishing and not as a continuous run
filter. As far as I know this is still true.

Page 14 of the manual - Specifications :-

"When using the diatom as a treatment by continuous filtration, you should
take care not to 'overwork' or tire your fish by too much current over a
long period of time."

Thanks. I didn't know the info changed. :-)))

Surely there would be a warning about NOT using the filter for continuous
filtration rather than the above if it wasnt designed for it ???

I agree with you. I was going by what the man at FishTownUSA told us that
day. Since it's not a biological filter I really have no need for it to run
24/7/365 anyway. My water is usually crystal clear until I stir it up
gravel vaccing and doing water changes. Then I run the Vortex for an hour
or two.......

Thoughts ??

I'm glad to know this but have no need for mine to run 24/7. Also, we find
the noise it makes a bit irritating. Our Aquaclears are darn near dead
silent and are both mechanical and biological filters. I only use the
Vortex for water polishing.

I dont really wanna blow up my $500 investment - yep - damn expensive over
here in oz - hehe doh !!

WHAT???? $500 bucks for a DE filter? Was that a typo? They're around $50
here in the USA depending where you buy them.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952