Old 18-01-2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Steve Michie

Default How many hrs of light per day?

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

I agree with you. I was going by what the man at FishTownUSA told us that
day.

yeah, the website that I bought mine off says the same thing - not designed
for continuous use, but rather for use as an intermittent polisher etc.

Since it's not a biological filter I really have no need for it to run
24/7/365 anyway. My water is usually crystal clear until I stir it up
gravel vaccing and doing water changes. Then I run the Vortex for an hour
or two.......

I've got a bad feeling that if I stop running the vortex my green cloud
algae will return... Hmm...

Regarding the fast clogging of the DE - yep it certainly gets full of crap
and changes colour fairly quick, but the water flow doesnt diminish a hell
of alot ??

My first charge collected the most crud, and after 1 week the water flow
still *seemed* ok...
I backflushed, recharged with fresh powder, and made sure to check out the
flow as soon as I started it back up - flow was about the same as after
running for 1 week with 1st charge ???? Hmmm....... maybe the head of
water is too much - 3 foot ?? better check the manual....

WHAT???? $500 bucks for a DE filter? Was that a typo? They're around
$50 here in the USA depending where you buy them.

no typo my friend....
$450 for the D1
$550 for the XL
$200 for an Eheim 2213

How much for an Eheim over there ?????

Well, I shoulda got u to buy me a vortex & send it over - u woulda made a
great profit and I still woulda come out way ahead - even after postage &
duty etc. :-(

Cheers.