Old 19-01-2006, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Steve Michie

Default How many hrs of light per day?

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

You need to find the problem behind this algae. Something is FEEDING it.

yeah, I think its an inablility of my plants to compete for the nutrients ?

Mine will when the surface of the powder is covered with crapola from the
water change. It'll do several tanks then I change the powder.

what do u do with the filter in-between tanks ??
if u store it dry - ur powder would be down the drain after u backflush it ?
if u store it wet - you'd grow stinky mulm ???

That doesn't sound right. There may be a small hole in the bag,

If there was a hole in the bag - wouldnt i just recirculate DE powder when
charging ??

it's not
seated right, or not enough powder.

I used 1.5 cups when doing my second charge - manual recommends at least 1
cup for the D1.

Your tank should be CLEAR after no more
than a few hours at most.

when u say clear - do u mean when looking sideways thru the tank (4 foot of
water) crystal clear ?
mine looks pretty good from the front, but when looking thru 4 foot of water
from the side - its cloudy - i can see thru to the other end - but it aint
crystal clear by a long shot.

A good bag, well seated and with enough powder
will clog after several hours in a tank that's a real mess with green
water and other floating "stuff." By then the tank should have crystal
clear water.

Are there types of algae that are less than 1 micron ?
The vortext is only rated to filter down to a micron or so...

$450 for the D1
$550 for the XL
$200 for an Eheim 2213

How much for an Eheim over there ?????

They run $200 to $250 here in the USA. Where are you located?

Im in Australia.
I got my Eheim Classic 2213 for under AU$200
The Vortex D1 cost me AU$450

go figure... must be volume of sales related.... ???
Cheers.