Old 20-01-2006, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dai16

Default Escallonia Hedge when do I trim?

I have an Escallonia hedge in my garden, about 12 feet long and 6 feet
high. It grows strongly, and stays green throughout the winter. I live
in South West wales, with a mild maritime climate. I just cannot decide
when it is the best time to trim the hedge as I want to use it as a
fairly formal "divider" in the garden. I cut it back in November, but
this has exponsed a lost of bare branches now, these will re-grow, and
I can already see the new green buds forming. If I trim it earlier I
seem to cut off the stems that produce the scented pink flowers in late
summer. Does anyone have any suggestions?