Old 21-01-2006, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Steve Michie

Default (Koi-lo) - more vortex DE filter discussion...

Hey Koi-lo - u got any more suggestions for me ??

I pulled the D1 apart today - and was disappointed to NOT find any holes or
split seams in the bag.

The plastic neck was still fully inserted into the motor/pump recess.

The DE was filthy - all shades of bright green... as u would expect - so it
seems to be doing its job - but just not to the point of making my water
CRYSTAL clear... Hmm....

Has anyone checked the flow rate of the D1 - ?

I've got a feeling mine is way below specification (even with a fresh charge
of powder) - perhaps its due to the length of my tubing & the height
respective to my tank ??

Inlet & outlet tubing - 4 foot long each.
Pump inlet/outlet sits 3 foot below top of tank

I'm about to do a 50% water change - and will then try a 3rd charge in the
DE filter - maybe my water is just so filthy that 2 charges wasnt enough to
get it crystal clear ? (although I would think the flow would all but stop
thru the filter rather than just miss all the super fine particles ?)

Cheers.