Old 21-01-2006, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VQSV

Default Stop Network Rail Tree Felling

Networkrail is responsible for a devastating assault on the countryside
which has left shocked and tearful residents nationwide gazing at vast
stretches of seemingly Agent Oranged earth. Fond of railway
embankments? Ever thought about them? Well, now's the time to start.
Railway embankments allow trees, vegetation and wildlife to flourish.
On top of that, they provide natural cover against the pollution and
noise caused by trains. Or, at least, they did, until Network Rail came
up with an ingenious new solution to the age-old problem of leaves on
the line. They decided to eliminate the trees. Official policy, in
fact, is to eradicate all trees within 5 metres (15 foot) of the
Railway line. The issue of railway safety is obviously serious but the
amount of land being cleared is totally unnecessary.

In fact this has already been done to within 25 metres in other areas
despite Network Rail's initial claims:

"I just feel we have been lied to," he said. "They have cut down every
single tree right to the end of the gardens - about 25 metres depth -
and to a length of around 170 metres.

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ne...s_on_line.html

This policy has already begun and is being implemented now.

Please complain to Network Rail:

Network Rail's National Helpline can be contacted on:

08457 11 41 41. This number is manned 24 hours a day.

Network Rail
40 Melton Street
London
NW1 2EE