Old 21-01-2006, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Zathoros

Default baby tears propagation

Thanks to everyone who replied, it's pretty clear upon closer inspection
that they were not baby tear plants as I was hoping. Here are some more
photos if anyone is interested. I can see why the word weed is in the name
duckweed, it's taking over. I suppose I should try and scoop it all out, I
took out about a pound of the stuff it grows back pretty fast though. It
more or less block out all the light below it. Due to current flow it's
mostly hanging out at one end of the tank, that half of the tank is now
algae free anyway.

http://www.avadb.com/photos/duckweed.jpg
http://www.avadb.com/photos/baby_tears.jpg

"Zathoros" wrote in message
Hi,

I purchased some plants a few months ago that the LFS was calling baby's
tears. They are about 6 inches or so tall, with a small tear shaped leaf
that has a split down the middle. The tend to lose a lot of their leaves
especially along the bottom of the stalk as they grow taller. I was
scooping the leaves out and tossing them. But some leaves would get mixed
in with the hornwort I have and I noticed that the leaves I left in the
tank were extending what appeared to be a root. I was wondering if all
these leaves will mature into plants. Should I remove them from my
aquarium and try to grow them elsewhere? I have a few hundred of the
leaves floating in my aquarium at this point.

http://www.avadb.com/photos/leaves.jpg

Thanks,