Old 21-01-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Stop Network Rail Tree Felling

"VQSV" wrote ...
Networkrail is responsible for a devastating assault on the countryside
which has left shocked and tearful residents nationwide gazing at vast
stretches of seemingly Agent Oranged earth. Fond of railway
embankments? Ever thought about them? Well, now's the time to start.
Railway embankments allow trees, vegetation and wildlife to flourish.
On top of that, they provide natural cover against the pollution and
noise caused by trains. Or, at least, they did, until Network Rail came
up with an ingenious new solution to the age-old problem of leaves on
the line. They decided to eliminate the trees. Official policy, in
fact, is to eradicate all trees within 5 metres (15 foot) of the
Railway line. The issue of railway safety is obviously serious but the
amount of land being cleared is totally unnecessary.

Yes, tis true, they have done this very thing on the Waterloo/Reading line
near here. Where a row of houses were hidden by trees from those waiting at
the (un)level crossing they are now totally open to view.
I've lived here over 30 years and that stretch of line has always been tree
lined both sides, even when there was a signalman in his signal box, but it
isn't now, just piles of bark chippings.
They have made no distinction with regard to tree species, the lot has gone.
Might explain why we are now seeing a woodpecker on our bird table.

--
Regards
Bob