Old 23-01-2006, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Ptarmigan

Default CO2, no need to measure KH ??

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:20:04 -0600, Rocco Moretti wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be snippy. I was trying to answer your
question, and the question mark was an indication of unsureness:

quote Not everyone has a KH between 1 & 8? /quote

One liners are not usually conducive to good communication.
It seemed to me that it was snippy ! My apologies for snipping back at you

Looking at http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm,
it appears you are correct, and KH doesn't matter - at any given,
constant KH, the pH drop of a given increase in CO2 is independant of KH.

Thank you for your , eventual, considered research and findings. :-!)

apologies if I appear to have been _over_ snippy, it is just because one
wonders the usefulness of posting to newsgroups with a question &
proposition if respondees dont think within the 'box' let alone without it
!

But seriously folks,,, there is a bit of a problem with this method :
It is ok for CO2 levels in the region of eg. 15-30(ish) mg/l giving pH
drops up to (say) 0.9 or 1.0

BUT the scale becomes squished above this. I leave our bloodhounds and
investigators to submit findings as student exersizes for later evaluation.
HINT to go above 30ish mg/l would require some reasonably accurate pH
measurements
HINT#2 it is all to do with log.s