Old 24-01-2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,alt.aquaria
Elaine T

Default pH and KH - Too much CO2? and other questions

wrote:
I have a question about CO2 as well so I will throw it in here. If I
had a plant-only tank, say an aqua garden or a growing tank for plants
I want to sell, is there such a thing as too much CO2? I know that
adding lots of CO2 will lower the Ph, so there is obviously an upper
limit to how much CO2 could be injected. What about piping CO2 to the
base of the plants and bubbling the gas up through the leaves? I guess
I am trying to think of a way to grow fast growing plants faster...
Other than effecting water chemistry, could there be such a thing as
too much CO2, even in a hypothetical situation?

Any mad scientist ideas out there? I have a 10g tank sitting in my
garage just waiting for a haribrained scheme.

Yep. You will suffocate your fish with too much CO2. I forget the
amount that kills them, but it's quite possble to do.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__