Old 27-01-2006, 10:20 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,alt.aquaria
Dick

Default Cycling and Bio-Filter in Planted Tank

On 26 Jan 2006 05:37:57 -0800, "Shorty"
wrote:

I am debating whether I need to put any bio-ball type media in my
filter for the bacteria.
Do I need to build-up a bacteria colony in my filter for a planted tank
or will the plants take care of the ammonia, NO2 and NO3?

I have only five fish in the tank and not very densly planted tank. My
main concern right now is to get the plants growing while keeping the
fish healthy.

There seems to be different opinions on the subject. I pulled my 4
bio wheels as they were not turning without constant cleaning of the
filters. Further, I don't even turn the filters off anymore, but pull
a cartridge and substitute a clean one. I have never lost my
bacteria. All 5 of my tanks are planted with dense fish populations,
that is more than 1 inch per gallon.

dick