Old 28-01-2006, 11:40 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,alt.aquaria
Dick

Default How much aeration needed?

On 26 Jan 2006 05:56:37 -0800, "Shorty"
wrote:

Yes, another question ...
When starting a planted tank with a few fish. How much aeration do I
need? I want to minimize surface turbulence to keep the injected DIY
CO2 in the tank.

I am using a canister filter. When I make the spray bar move the water
without disturbing the surface I get bubbles and some living things
floating at the surface. When I move the surface around, the stuff seem
to disappear.

I quit aereation about a year ago. I got tired of the mineral
deposits. All of my tanks have high densisty popultions: that is over
1 inch of fish/1 gallon of water.

I worried the first few days and watched closely for any movement to
the surface. Never happened. One of my good decisions. I love the
bubbles, but hate the mess.

dick