Old 29-01-2006, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,alt.aquaria
Koi-lo

Default How much aeration needed?

"Tynk" wrote in message
oups.com...

Koi-lo wrote:
That's why I'm saying SOMEONE should do something, start something to
change
the laws like they did with hookbill birds in some states.!!! I'm
serious
about that. It kills my soul to see GF sold with those small 1 gallon
bowls. They have no chance at all...... NONE!
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Pardon my confusion, but you recently attacked me on the Goldfish
Question thread about this very thing.

??? I am all for laws being passed to protect fish. One should force the
stores to hand out pamphlets with each fish giving information on the
nitrogen cycle and more..... so the fish have a better chance to survive.

Now having laws is a good thing and somebody should do something?
Can you see my confusion about your comment. Here somebody SHOULD do
something about making laws, and on another thread you used that
against somebody.

Huh? I have always believed laws should be passed to protect fish, small
animals such as hamsters etc. If the store can't get more for the fish then
they will go out of business. Without laws we have no way to force our
beliefs and humane views on them. Is it fair to them? I'm not sure
actually, since some are making it on a shoestring,... little profit. And
it would also force people to either spend more or bypass the fish hobby.
Many get hooked because of a fishbowl and GF... and move on up the ladder to
real tanks and more exotic fish. Those people may be lost to the hobby. So
what's fair then?

As for the 8 oz ones...that isn't what I'm talking about. They get much
smaller than that.
I not kidding either, they couldn't hold more than 3 oz of water.
They're also about as wide as a grown male's body, and probably 1 1/2"
-2" deep.
These things are so abusive it boggles my mind at how they could be
legal.

I have not seen them here, or have seen them and didn't realize they were
for bettas.

But without any control or laws ifyou will, in the hobby it's like
anything goes...even if it kills the fish. They show some of these
things with fish in them that don't have labyrinth organs, so you know
they'll be dead very soon of suffocation.

Which stores have you seen them in? I haven't been in Petco in awhile. The
chains I frequent most are SuperPets, PetSupermarket and PetsMart. Pettown
went out of business here last fall. The next time I hit these stores I am
going to LOOK for these tiny betta bowls.

I've seen these other things that are just as bad too.
They look like a bowl, but are like 3/4 - 1" deep (front to back). A
Betta would have to curl up on it's own body just to turn around.

What you're describing are really over the top....... :-( You would
think common sense would tell the person they're cruel.

While looking for a good link about those other death traps I told you
about I saw one of these and they had hooked up so it swings back and
forth!!
Can you imagine the poor fish in this thing? I can't, but they're out
there and people are buying them.
It's sick.

Have you seen the small betta globes that are desk LAMPS???? You actually
screw the betta bowl into the socket holder somehow. I couldn't believe my
eyes! And there the fish hangs being cooked by the light and being blinded
at the same time.

I contacted the Meijer company (USA, and no not Fred Meyer, different
store), about their store brand 1g tank boxes showing like 8 Goldies in
the 1g tank and how bad that was becuase 1...they can't live in a 1g
tank like they are advertising and 2...people that don't know better
would use the picture as an example of what can be housed in that tank.
They have since changed the picture but sadly, it's still wrong. = (

I know the feeling. It's like beating your head against a brick wall.

I'm going there today and I'll have to see if they have any in stock
because I've forgotten what they used.
I've also asked them several times to stop having the buy one get one
free sale on male Bettas, as there are people do not know they cannot
be housed together.

Do you know that some clerks (in NYC) are selling people a PAIR of bettas
for those little bowls? Yes, a PAIR to put in one bowl. I just heard about
it last week. Think shredded fins, fungus, bacterial infections and certain
death if not for both, surely one.

They still have the sales. = ( It's all about the all mighty dollar.
That seems to always win.
You see Carol, I don't just sit here and not do anything about the poor
care, poor conditions, poor treatment, etc of the fish in this hobby,
(which you are under the impression I do).
I do a lot. I just don't always say so.

Well SHARE as it encourages others to at least try to do the same........
BTW the managers in the local Wal*Mart stores cringe when they see me
heading for their pet depts. But there have been vast improvements. ;-)
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952