Old 30-01-2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dave@AquaFlora

Default cloudy water, what could be the cause?

I've noticed over the last week the water in my aquarium has gotten a bit
mirky. In my bigger tank long time ago I remember this was a preset to an
algae bloom/green water. I'm figuring it might have something to do with my
change of ferts. Here is my stats and what I was doing for a few weeks
before the onset of the cloudiness.

Co2: 36-45ppm
GH: 6
15 gallon wide
2.7wpg
10hr photoperiod

Fert schedule:
Sunday - 50% Water change - Traces 5ml, 1/4 tsp K2SO4, 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/32
tsp KH2P04
Monday
Tuesday - Traces 5ml, 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/32 tsp KH2P04
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday - Traces 5ml, 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/32 tsp KH2P04

Fearing an algae bloom I did a 75% water change on Friday (2 days ago) and
cropped algae leaves, scraped glass etc and replenished ferts....but instead
of 1/32 tsp KH2PO4 I only put in 3 or 4 grains. I'm keeping the fert
schedule the same but will be reducing the po4 down to a few grains instead
of 1/32. My fertiling was only 1/8 tsp KNO3, and 3.2ml traces before and I
increased it to 1/4 tsp KNO3 and 5ml traces. I thought the plants weren't
getting enough nitrates and traces since I was having a problem with green
spot algae on a lot of plants and it was getting frustrating.

What does anyone think? If Tom Barr is poking around I would like to
especially hear his opinion since long time ago I followed his
recomendations succesfully.

Thanks!!
Dave.