Old 03-02-2006, 08:53 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,alt.aquaria
fusQuanto

Default Cycling and Bio-Filter in Planted Tank

Frank wrote:
fusQuanto wrote,

well, the bottles of liquid fertilizers tell you to remove the carbon

from filters..........

also, melafix requires taking out the
carbon too.
is there a certain
time that it is "safe" to put the carbon back in?

The only time carbon is needed is to remove dyes, medications and
odors.

i have a hangon filter, a biowheel 350 or something.............

The break down time of DOCs is the most time consuming, so
bio-filtering is improved the longer the polluted water is held within
the media. With the amount of SSA (specific surface area) on a
bio-wheel, it makes them hard to beat. Plus they hold the polluted
water much longer than just being pumped through a filter.

do you recommend using something other than carbon? my filter has extra
pockets to fill up with whatever media you want. should i put something
in there, is anything needed?

There are three major factors affecting filter media; SSA, void space
and cleanability. Out of all the diferent filter medias (gravel,
plastic, ceramic, matting and foam sponge), foam sponge has the most
SSA, best void space and easyer to clean! I use those green or brown 3M
scrub pads for pre-filter media within my filters and 2 or 3 cut-to-fit
3/4" foam sponges. Pre filters are cleaned at least every other day.
That keeps those 2 or 3 bio-media foam sponges clean enough that I
don't have to squeeze them out in the change water but once or twice a
month............ Frank

what filter do you have?