Old 04-02-2006, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Hollyhocks - Clay Soil and Rust Resistance

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert wrote:

Alcea ficifolia/Alcea rosea
Majority opinion says they should be treated as members of a single
species
. Ordinary clay soil is not a problem .

Gardenbanter said that the 'minority says they should be treated ....'.

Yes and I guess you now know they are wrong.

Have you grown Hollyhocks before Rupert?

Yes many years ago. Gave up because they really were biennials and I never
got another year out of them. Much nicer effect with Abutilon which is non
deciduous and can be grown to several metres high. Supposedly not frost
hardy but it grows well here in my part of West Yorkshire. I think it's
Tennants (sp) white. Fabulous plant flowers early so in that sense it's not
the best substitute for Hollyhocks.