Old 05-02-2006, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gill Passman

Default Need info on planting cichlid aquaruim

Koi-Lo wrote:

"kraylon" -DONTEMAIL wrote in message

Good evening, i have a 55 gallon (2 feet tall) cichlid tank with about 9
cichlids in that vary in size and speices i would like to plant it but i
would to get some insider info before i go spend a lot of money. i am
using an under ground filter, 2 whisper power 60 hang on tank filter,
and 2 power heads 2 18" 15 watt daylight bulbs. (just listing so you
know) the cichlids are 1 red zerba, 3 blue johnies, 1 yellow lab, 1
compressiceps, 1 kenyi, 1 peacock, 1 pleco and 1 demasoni. i know that
cichlid like to dig and pull up plants but i think that a planted tank
looks so much better and it gives the fish more hiding spots. i pretty
much know nothing about plants or how to get it started. this tank has
been set up for a 2 years now and i have had some of the fish longer
then that. if i could figure out a good way to take a couple of snap
shots of my fish i would i have tryed but no good pics yet if there is
any more info that is needed just let me know.

==============================
You will need some of the toughest plants there are. Floaters will do
better than planted plants which will most likely be dug up anyway.
Water lettuce, the plant ponders use, will do well but stay small in an
aquarium. Hornwart floats so the cichlids wont spend much time digging
it up and tearing it up. American Vals would do fine in their water
conditions if you can put large enough stones over their root area.
With some of the above mentioned cichlids only hornwart and water
lettuce thrived for me. Others surely had other experiences.

I tried water lettuce in my Malawi tank and it vanished after being
scattered into small bits on the surface during a "chasing"...I also
tried water onions - they got dug up....the only plant that I seem to
have success with are anubias and then only if I keep them in the pots
that they came in...

Gill