Old 05-02-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Splicing power cord on Submersible pump

"Jackson" wrote in message
ups.com...
I installed a Little Giant NK-2 submersible pump into my pond to supply
the water fall.

Little Giants are notorious for leaking oil. Toss it and but a Beckett or
something better.

The way the pond is constructed, I had to cut the power cord to run it
through a hole in the bottom, and then splice it to power in a junction
box. I was careful to seal the junction box.

The pump operated fine for many months, but then died. The junction
box was filled with water (and possibly oil), and shaking the pump, it
was clear that oil had leaked out.

This is typical.

Is it likely that the oil leaked out the power cord? Does the plug on
the cord provide for part of the seal, and should therefore not be
spliced?

Not likely. You need ask an Lic. electrician that question. Where water
and electricity meet is no time to take chances of any kind.

What sort of pump should I replace it with, given that I will need to
cut/splice the power?

It's best to do some research and to see what may be best for you situation.
Right now most of ours are made by Danner Mfg. They're called Pondmaster
Magnetic Drive pumps. They last for years.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952