Old 05-02-2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Default Need info on planting cichlid aquaruim

"Gill Passman" wrote in message

I tried water lettuce in my Malawi tank and it vanished after being
scattered into small bits on the surface during a "chasing"...I also tried
water onions - they got dug up...

That's a big problem with cichlids if you want a planted tank. My Malawis
ignored all floating plants. The only time they went near the surface was
at feeding time. They stayed around the middle and the bottom where the
limestone caves were.

..the only plant that I seem to
have success with are anubias and then only if I keep them in the pots
that they came in...

That may be the answer. To plant them in pots and hope they don't attack
the leaves and rip the plant to shreds.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952