Old 07-02-2006, 10:51 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc,rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Mary Burns

Default New Shrimp Pics Posted

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
I loved the pics. :-) Unfortunately shrimp and GF don't get along.
The GF are convinced the shrimp are food.... :-(

Odd, the local store keps ammanos with goldfish.

Ditto, and I'm going to have an empty aquarium soon, but -
... what shrimp would like my 8.4pH, 13dkH, 16dgH water (?
..and then what fish could I put in that wouldn't eat the shrimp?

I'm going to have to set up a tank at work soon, with nice soft city
water.

They like hard water - they're crustaceans and need the calcium to build
new exoskeletons which they shed when they moult.

Other than the filter feeding shrimp which get about 3 inches at best
most srimp are pretty small. Ammanos get to be 2" at best but the
rest are less than an inch.

With small algae eating shrimp small tetras rasboras or the like
work, with ammanos anything smaller than them or not voraceous
will work. Things that eat shrimp in the wild are a problem (angels)
but things like hatchetfish wouldn't know what to do with them.

Did I mention killifish today yet? They go real well with killies
in face the Singapore guys have found they'll clean killi eggs without
hurting the, so they keep a few in each tank. A. australe doesn't bother
shrimp half their size. Gularis think they're right yummy but then gularis
are
like that.

Aplocheilichthys normani is a great addition to a shrimp tank, it's
my current favorite planted tank inhabitant. New pics poisted tonight:

http://images.killi.net/n/NOR/

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

I have 4 amano shrimp with my clowns, already a good 2", who often mix with
the c.julli cories, working away on top of tree trunk home for clowns. The
clowns haven't eaten them and don't bother them at all. I love the way they
use their many legs to swim. It is easy to see these ones. There are 3 in
45g with 2 spawning angels, just as big, but remain more hidden in the
plants during the day, lower down and always together. They do keep these
tanks looking good, because both these tanks get more food than others, the
spawning angels get lunch as she spawns every 5 to 7 days, and my clowns
always have a veggie/algae wafer lunch extra, just starting to get deeper
bodies as well as growing. Mary