Old 07-02-2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default Are any orchids poisonous?

"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Before or after spraying? (annoying emoticon here)

snip

As I do not do any spraying of the plants in our condo, that's not
applicable for me. However I was astounded to read in the book Orchid Fever
about the young man in Paris, France, who lived in a small apartment with
his mother and his orchids, and who sprayed the orchids regularly with lots
of pesticide. Yikes.

By the way, related question: Is plant food poisonous when ingested by
humans? I assume that it is better to keep it out of the way of toddlers,
but unlike on cleaning supply bottles I did not see a poison warning on its
label when I looked earlier today. So I wonder ... Not that I will encourage
his eating it, mind you, but I am starting to wonder which household items
will absolutely have to be put out of any possible reach, and which are
optional.

So far, as far as I can tell, Robert will probably be a much greater danger
to the orchids than they will be to him. The greatest dangers to toddler
from orchids that I see thus far a 1. lights and electric cords leading
to lights, 2. shelving units will need to be stable and secure so that they
do not topple, 3. chocking hazard posed by media, 4. if a clay pot were to
topple and fall on the toddler, some of them are quite heavy so he could get
hurt that way, and 5. if plant food is poisonous after all then that's an
issue. Am I missing something?

Joanna