Old 03-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Trevor Rimmer

Default Tiny white worms in compost bin

They are nematode worms - numerous different species. If you dig up any
reasonably fertile soil and *really* look hard at it you will see them.
The ones in the soil are generally good guys, but some are parasitic -
eg on slugs. Humans have their own nematode parasites (but not the ones
that you see in the soil I hasten to add).

TrevR

The message
from "Alison" o.uk
contains these words:

"Peter" wrote in message
I have just opened the bottom door on my compost bin to find plenty of
regular worms and millions on tiny white threadlike worms. Are these good
bad or indifferent?

The bin is full and the compost at the bottom seems well rotted.

Thanks

Peter

I worried about these things for months when I started making compost and
leaf mould. I collected a sample and was informed by a fairly reliable
source that they are 'good guys' and prefer the leaf mould (which I can
vouch for cos there's lots more in the becoming-almost-useable leaf
collecting bin).

--A