Old 03-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Kay Easton

Default Meaning of part-shade

In article , Inge Jones
writes
When the books say something will tolerate part-shade, or light shade,
is there any difference between a continual dappled sunlight, or a
corner that only gets sunlight for an hour or two a day, but full sun
when it does get it?

Yes, they're different. Dappled shade plants are obviously basically
woodland, so will also prefer the sorts of soil you get in woodland.

Also, if you have a place that gets no sun at all except for 4 months in
the summer, and for those 4 months it's good sun for up to 8 hours a
day, could you put in a plant that says it needs full sun?

Probably. I grow water lilies in such a situation and they flower well.
But look at the conditions your plants need - many 'full sun' plants
also need well drained soils - can you provide this too?

There's also lots of plants which aren't fussed about sun or shade, and
they will do well too. In a similar situation I have magnolia, skimmia,
heathers, snakes head fritillary, euphorbias, hellebores, pernettya,
Malva moschata, roses, nicotiana, crocosmia.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/