Old 10-02-2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default Are any orchids poisonous?

Below is Glen Deckers response concerning the issue of previous owner's
usage of pesticide. According to him, it's not really necessary to worry
about it too much. So I won't.
Joanna

Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 23:29:43 EST

Hi Joanna,

I really wouldn't worry about it to much. I myself, don't use pesticides
for
the simple reason that I have a 6 year old who likes to play in the
greenhouse. Once upon a time, some pesticides could stay active in the soil
for
months, but these days, you could almost drink it out of the bottle with not
much
ill effect.

So, if you purchase a new plant, you could simple wash the plant with a
little soap and water, just to remove any possible residue and if you are
very
concerned, you could repot it, and then you would have absolute nothing to
worry
about. My feeling is, like I said, just to wash the plant down you should
have
nothing to worry about. However, you do what you feel is best for your
piece
of mind.

Sincerely,
Glen Decker

"OrchidKitty" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't know how long pesticides, etc. stay in plant matter and
media--but I know someone who does. You might want to contact Glen
Decker of Piping Rock Orchids ) and ask him. He
grows thousands of slippers (of exceptional quality) and has small
children. He's pesticide free and knows much about the dangers of
pesticides. He's a nice man and very willing to share what he knows.

BTW, Congrats on the little one, Mom.