Old 07-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default String Alge

Jim, when you figure *that* out, you will make a fortune: it's the bane of
every pond owners' existence. Let's see: there's barley straw (but where I
live - Central FL - it gets too warm and the straw disintegrates, creating
more of a mess!); there's salt (but too much is not good for flora nor
fauna: I would scrub the rocks down with non-iodized table salt when I was
doing other maintenance (read: no pump running), and that would work for a
week or so. It kinda works like scouring powder); some folks have tried 1/4
tsp. alum per 1,000 gals. of water - and that's helped them; you can heavily
plant with other vegetation that will (try to) outcompete the string algae
for the nutrients, and you can try to control your nitrAtes with a trickle
tower (which is what I'm gonna try THIS year). The problem is, what works
for me may not work for you due to differences in our weather, sun, and
water conditions, and vice versa. The only common denominator is that
everyone gets string algae and everyone wants to get rid of it. It makes a
nice addition to a compost pile, however (the only GOOD thing I can say
about it!)

Good Luck!
Lee

wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Last year was our first year with a pond. The only real problem I had was
with string alge. I took armfuls out and the prefilters for the pumps

needed
cleaning every day. So how do I rid my pond of string alge? Any help would
be appreciated.