Old 08-03-2003, 12:34 AM
Zizz

Default Roses where other roses have been

"Newbie Gardener" wrote in message
I'm a bit confused after hearing that roses emit something into the soil

prevent other roses growing in the same spot.
I want to replace some ancient roses, am I going to have problems?

Thankyou for any advice
Lorraine

If you plant a rose in the same place another rose has been planted it most
likely will not flourish and stands a good possibility of dying. As you've
grasped the idea the original rose leaves some kind of memory in the soil it
was planted in that stops replacement roses from flourishing.
If you want to plant a new rose where an old rose has been then you'll need
to replace the soil where the old rose was first unfortunately I don't
remember how uch of the soil needs replacing depth/width wise.
HTH