Old 08-03-2003, 02:32 AM
hermine stover

Default Long-lasting wooden containers for balcony garden

On 26 Feb 2003 10:01:34 -0800, (Gabriel)
wrote:

I have been using some plastic and some terra-cota containers, and I
am thinking of building my own containers out of wood, which is
cheaper, looks more attractive and allows modular designs that are
harder to get with other materials. My main concern is about treating
the wood against decay:

1- Potting soil versus garden soil: I have been using garden soil with
remarkable success, using organic techniques that avoid hardening.
However, would garden soil make the container decay faster ?

2- Painting the container: Which paint is non-toxic for the plants and
does not accumulate toxins in the plants ? Should I paint the
container from the inside as well ?

use roofing tar on the inside. there is a water soluble asphaltic
roofing material which stands up very well. the OTHER thing you can
do, which i do because i have plants which sit in wood containers for
years, is to line the container with plastic, and punch holes in the
bottom. Sooner or later, wood rots. You can postpone it this way
without dealing with toxic materials.