Old 12-02-2006, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Default Philodendron experiment

"Dan J.S." wrote in message
I have a tank full off aggressive fish that eat any plant that I put into
the tank (they even chewed up some plastic ones). So I decided to do a
little experiment. Went to home depot, got a philodendron, and rinsed the
dirt away. I then wrapped the roots into nylon and stuck just the roots
into my 150 gallon tank. I then put in little hooks in the wall and strung
the plant across the wall. I want to see if this will help me with some
nitrate absorption. I have seen a few websites where this plant is used as
a filter.

Does anyone think these plants will survive? I have the philodendron in
many vases in just water and they seem to be growing very well. I think
the tank water will be even better for them.

As long as they get enough LIGHT hanging out of the tank they should do
fine. I have a velvet philo' living on nothing but "used" betta tank water
in a semi-sunny window.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952