Old 13-02-2006, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Default How can i get rid of bulbs?

wrote:

For the last three years I have been fighting a battle with bluebell
type plants that keep coming up in the cracks between the crazy paving
stones of a garden path. Having died down over the winter the first
ones are springing up now and I pulled out loads today. Some have quite
big bulbs but a lot are less than the size of a pea. These plants seem
immune to any kind of weed killer, 'pathclear', that I've tried.

Pathclear is a poor choice for these type of bulbs. Glyphosate will work
much better. They are easily killed, but there will be plenty of new
seedlings.

an old path and a lot of the cement has crumbled away. Apart from
filling every crack with super strong cement does anybody know anyway I
can get rid of these unwanted pests on the path? Thanks

Should only take a few applications of a slow acting systemic weedkiller
to see them off. Be patient. Fast acting weedkillers like pathclear just
burn off the tops and leave the bulbs underneath ready to sprout again.

Once you have the path free from weeds pathclear will prevent seeds from
growing, but against established bulbs it is a waste of time.

Regards,
Martin Brown