Old 13-02-2006, 06:24 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Deer Repellent Question

On 2006-02-13, Lee wrote:
The local hardware store recommended a mixture of crushed mothballs and used
cat litter, spread in a 5-foot perimeter. I haven't tried it yet (not sure
if I want to because of the smell), but I have to do something. We have a
herd of about 10 - 12 living on the golf course adjacent to the neighboring
woods, and my yard is a daily "run". I want to plant a huge vegetable and
flower garden this year. Big dog who doesn't bark is no good, so I guess
I'll go for a fence as well. How tall would a traditional fence (not
electric) need to be to keep them out?

Start with 6 feet. I think it depends on how safe the deer feel on
landing on the other side. Some people think they can jump high and
wide but not both at the same time so they angle the fence out at say a
15-30 degree angle. Also tie cloth on it so they can see the fence.

My sister tried deer netting and the "scare crow" water sprayer to protect
her rose garden. Neither worked.

wrote in message
oups.com...
We tried hair, perfume, soap and a few other in the veg. garden. All
seemed to work for a short time each, but the electric fence seemed to
work the longest. This year we have a larger garden and hope the
electric fence still works. New families of deer to train. Good luck.
Charlotte
miked27607 wrote:
Has anyone had any luck with the homemade recipes (i.e., eggs/vegetable
oil/milk/liquid detergent/water)? Soap in trees? Human hair?

Irrigation?
Light? Noise?

Thanks in advance.

is a garbage address.