Old 08-03-2003, 07:45 PM
~ jan

Default Should I add rock, soil(mud) in my pond?

John asked for advice about putting mud & rocks in his pond
of, if I remember right, over 5,000 gallons.

Mistatee replied:
See my pond.............. complete with rocks and mud.
My opinion: no problem.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.thomas4/MyPond.html

Hiya Steve, )

First, wonderful website and beautiful looking garden, but uh oh, here it
comes imo, there is a big difference between caring for such a pond set up
such as yours when it is under 200 gallons, then one of many thousands.

I note in your main picture what looks like foam on the surface, if so,
your pond is showing Dissolved Organic Compound syndrome. You don't mention
removing water, only topping off. Removing water is necessary to remove
those things that don't evaporate, like heavy metals, salts, etc.

I also, kind of got the impression from the write up, that clear water
isn't that big a deal to you? Which is fine, but if someone wants clear
water that ought to be considered before following your example perhaps?

Also, regarding the water chemistry test kits. I commend you on checking
things out, learning how to use the tests and what it all means during your
first season or so. Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend telling other folks
NOT to do this. There is nothing more frustrating to me than to have
someone e-mail or call me with sick fish and not have a clue about water
quality or how to even use the test kits they have purchased.

Otherwise I found the rest of your site informative and very easy to read
and use. ~ jan )

See my ponds and filter designs:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~