Old 13-02-2006, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gail Futoran

Default My tank chemistry readings...how to interpret

"Charles" wrote in message
[snip]
I wondered about the 40 carbonate as well, but I'm not familiar with
that kit.

My water runs GH 55 and one tank I recently tested had KH 5.

For my somewhat hard water, I am growing echinodorous, vallisnaria,
egeria, lilaeopsis, hornwort, anubius, and some things I forgot what
they are. Java moss grows like algae, Java fern doesn't do too well.
Oh, some Cryptocorynes as well.
some of those may be spelled right, I hope I got close.

I grow many of the same plants you grow. My
pH tends to range around 7.2-7.6; KH around
7 or 8 (varies depending on tank) with GH
higher. My Java Fern does very well. At least,
it gives me lots of babies, and looks healthy
on various pieces of driftwood.

Crypt wendtii grows like a weed in all my
tanks, even before I got around to putting in
a decent substrate. It grew out of plain gravel
and plain inert sand in different tanks. I hope
it does as well in profile+flourite!

No CO2 injection, I just go with plants that
survive in my tanks' conditions.

Gail