Old 15-02-2006, 06:16 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Deer Repellent Question

On 2006-02-15, jim frei wrote:
"D C Antonelli" wrote in message
k.net...
I had a deer problem and solved it in the following way. This solution
works for me but my garden is not large (6' X 20'). Perhaps the deer
might jump the fence if the garden were larger, but this is what works
for me.

I bought some plastic fencing at Home Depot. It is grey plastic, comes
in rolls and has a mesh that is something like 2 inch by 4 inch. It is
about 5' high.

This sounds like that day-glo orange tree protection fence you see at
construction sites. Now if this stuff came in a dark green...

Sounds like the theory I have heard. They don't feel comfortable
landing in a 6 foot wide space. How does it hold up to UV light? Some
plastics get brittle after only a year or two.

Cost per foot? Sounds like this would be lighter and going higher for
larger gardens might work. Splitting a roll would allow a 7.5 foot
fence though you would have more cost in rebar or finding longer posts
of some kind. It could also be dismantled at the end of the season.

I only have a rabbit problem so I am just throwing out ideas for those
that do. I find such problems and the solution process much more
entertaining than say cross word puzzles.

I use the same method with rabbits except I use 18 inch chicken wire and
weave it as you described. I just establish the corners then take up
the slack by zigzagging the stakes.

is a garbage address.