Old 16-02-2006, 02:15 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Sandie Hudson

Default O/T Rules for burning in Wake County?

I think you can burn in the counties between 4 and midnight
without a permit. A neighbor sent someone to check on us once and
that is what we were doing. They just checked to make sure
weren't burning tires or plastic or other no-nos and then said we
were fine.

Sandie

"Margaret Lillard" wrote in message
m...
wrote:
If you are in the county NO RULES BABY - ya gotta love the
south!!

Um... you've got to have a permit, according to the county and
state:

The Wake County gov't site says:

"Open burning is regulated by the North Carolina Department of
Environment and Natural Resources (NCDENR). For information
regarding burning bans, burning restrictions, and to obtain
burning permits in the rural areas of Wake County, contact the
North Carolina Forest Service at 919.212.7356. For information
regarding what items can be legally burned and other air
quality issues, contact the Division of Air Quality at
919.571.4700."

See:
http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/speci...ingpermits.htm

The state Forest Service site quotes state law (Wake is
classified as a "non-hazardous" county, btw):

"(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to start or cause to
be started any fire or ignite any material in any woodland
under
the protection of the Department or within 500 feet of any such
woodland during the hours starting at midnight and ending at
4:00 P.M. without first obtaining a permit from the Department.
Permits may be obtained from forest rangers or other agents
authorized by the forest ranger to issue such permits in the
county in which the fire is to be started. Such permits shall
be
issued by the ranger or other agent unless permits for the area
in question have been prohibited or cancelled under G.S.
113-60.25 or 113-60.27. (1981, c. 1100, s. 2.)"

Wake County permit offices are at:
http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/contacts/wake.htm

or you can apply for the permit online at:
http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/burn_perm..._nonhazard.asp

MAL

I am sure there are basic rules, about being in control of the
flame, not letting it burn more then 24 hours etc.

If you are in the cities then there are rules.

I live right next to the city and the new raleighites call the
fire dept who have now started to ask "is this in Lake anne?"
then they explain the rules to them.

Tomatolod
"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
news
Does anyone know where I can find out the regulations for
burning yard waste in Wake County (not in a city)???

I don't know *what* the neighbors are burning, but it smells
smoky here inside my house (which is another area of concern).

Thanks,

Anne Lurie