Old 20-02-2006, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Default algae concerns going from 130W to 260W?

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Can you explain how it kills algae? Does it contain algaecides? I'm
ordering some tomorrow from Foster & Smith but the catalog doesn't mention
it killing algae.

To be an "algicide" it has to pass, like 10 years of FDA testing
so if you ask sea-chem it it's an algicide they have to tell you
no of they're breaking the law.

If you ask them if it will help grow moss balls which are
cladophora algae they'll tell you this is not advisable,
it will hurt it.

I don't know how or why it works, but it works better than
conventional (FDA approves!) algicieds like simizine IMO.

I wonder what it contains since I'm already using Sechem's Iron supplement
and their Flourish Comprehensive Plant Supplement. This sooty and now black
velvety algae is thriving on it and the constant water changes (Nitrates at
20ppm).

With high lights, good ferts but no CO1 you may get algae.
Add Co2 and the plants can us all those nutrients,

I would rather not since I have a lot of tanks and don't want anything else
to have to measure, watch and worry about.

similarly
so Excel provides organic carbon and plants grow better with it
than without it. And it does knock algae out in a day or three.

I'll let you know if it works for me. I imagine it'll take a week to get
here from Foster & Smith. :-)
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952